Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Phnom Penh Tragedy

Yesterday some 348 or so people were crushed or electrocuted to death on a bridge during the water festival. It's all over the international news and I was about a mile away when it happened.

I was in a massive crowd for about 20 minutes around 7:30 PM. It was chaos - I couldn't really move, people were pushing me from behind - a lot like what happened on the bridge 3 hours later. But of course nowhere near as bad. I still had some anxiety at times because there really was no control over anything.

The King (I think that is the head of state) is saying this is the worst tragedy since Pol Pot's regime... which I witnessed today at both Tuol Sleng (S-21) Prison and the Killing Fields at Choeung Ek.

Messed up.

1 comment:

  1. Brutal. So brutal you might have to re-tittle your blog that you named Brutal. So happy you weren't in it!

    ReplyDelete